What is this project?
This project is my contribution to the Access to Nature goal outlined in Vancouver's Greenest City 2020 Action Plan. One of the main targets in the plan is that all Vancouver residents will be within a five minute walk of a natural space by 2020.

Who am I?
I am Becky Till, a CityStudio student working in collaboration with the City of Vancouver on Greenest City projects. I am also a person wondering what it really means to have access to nature.

What will all the participants and myself be doing?
Each participant of this challenge is going to "take a moment" in a "natural space" everyday for the next ten days (March 24th - April 2nd). We will all be posting reflections both written and visual to share what impact this commitment is having on us.

Why am I doing this?
Well, because I used eat blackberries on a forest path during my commute and now I try not to get hit by cars. I want to see if there is a bridge between my busy city life and my need to feel connected to nature. What does it mean to connect with nature in a city? Does it have the same impact as "wilder" nature? Will having more contact make a noticeable difference in my life? To broaden my conclusions I asked fourteen other people living in Vancouver if they could commit to "Accessing Nature" for 10 days straight too. They said yes.
It's on!

Friday 30 March 2012

Escape from school!

I have enjoyed spending my little time with nature these past 6 days. Mostly it has been my excuse to procrastinate from working on school work. I have been writing papers and much to my benefit I have been much more productive when I return from my little nature excursions.


When I am at home I spend my nature time at a park near my house. I usually come here during the summer when I have the time. But I have made a point of going to the ravine that runs through it and have noticed the beginnings of spring. The usually brown is being sprinkled with green and the birds are silenced as a walk past, then resume their incessant chirping once I pass. The ravine as always bubbles and creates a ver calming noise that almost drowns out the road 20 metres away. I am excited for spring/summer to be in full bloom, the trees and the bushes create a much more escapist feel.


When I am at school during the week I have visited two different nature spots. One is by far my favourite, the stepped pyramid in the middle of AQ at SFU. I climb to the top and sit there and marvel at the "lovely" grey sky. I have a good view of most of the campus and when I am here as opposed to the park by my house, I find myself calm and enjoy just staring at the sky (when it isn't raining).


After I am done these little excursions I usually have to go back to work on my school assignments and would rather stay in that moment of stillness and calm. The reality of the urban environment comes back when I walk up the steep path and head back to my house and have to cross the busy streets till I am home.

No comments:

Post a Comment