What is this project?
This project is my contribution to the Access to Nature goal outlined in Vancouver's Greenest City 2020 Action Plan. One of the main targets in the plan is that all Vancouver residents will be within a five minute walk of a natural space by 2020.

Who am I?
I am Becky Till, a CityStudio student working in collaboration with the City of Vancouver on Greenest City projects. I am also a person wondering what it really means to have access to nature.

What will all the participants and myself be doing?
Each participant of this challenge is going to "take a moment" in a "natural space" everyday for the next ten days (March 24th - April 2nd). We will all be posting reflections both written and visual to share what impact this commitment is having on us.

Why am I doing this?
Well, because I used eat blackberries on a forest path during my commute and now I try not to get hit by cars. I want to see if there is a bridge between my busy city life and my need to feel connected to nature. What does it mean to connect with nature in a city? Does it have the same impact as "wilder" nature? Will having more contact make a noticeable difference in my life? To broaden my conclusions I asked fourteen other people living in Vancouver if they could commit to "Accessing Nature" for 10 days straight too. They said yes.
It's on!

Thursday 29 March 2012

Janet Moore - Reflection






the weekends than the weekdays. it is also clear that weather is a
huge factor in vancouver. On the weekend we got the beach at Jericho -
put our feet in the sand, ran down the docks to the the crab
fisherman. marvelled at sea stars. full skies. vancouver perfection.
we also went to the aquarium in stanley park and took a bike ride and
spent time checking out gardens in our hood. i could write a book of
reflections on the aquarium but that's another story for another time.
the kids had the dolphin play with them through the glass for about 15
minutes - trying to unpack what that means and how it connects to our
relationship to nature is mind boggling.

last night if we had warmer dryer weather we would have played in a
park or in the garden but instead we went to the pool at the community
centre. it made me wonder - is a pool my way of accessing water? it is
too cold to swim in the ocean so the pool will have to do.

really though the week has been rainy and busy and so my moments have
been on my bike ride home.

What have you been noticing while you are taking your moment?

I did take a moment leaving the community centre to breathe in the
trees of little mountain. I do like that about this challenge. That I
am reminded each day by Becky's voice in my head that I should 'take a
moment'. I have been doing this riding my bike home - noticing a
branch covered in moss. I stopped to take in the magnolia tree
blooming on 10th avenue. Humungous pink leaves scattered on the road.
Today I am at my office and I am now thinking I'll ride home via the
seawall to take an extra moment with the sea birds that hang out on
false creek at this time of year. I noticed them while biking earlier
this week - spent time thinking about them more than normal.

How have you been feeling after your moment?

I feel good taking an extra long breath - so that is a good thing. I
do feel like this is something that I'm not doing fully - perhaps the
'accessing' nature feels like too much - that 'appreciating' nature
might be a challenge I could get a gold star for. i do like winning
and so far I don't feel like an access to nature winner.

What is standing out? What, if anything, has been unexpected?

I think the noticing is standing out. That subtle changes can be big
changes. I notice that wanting to stop and take a picture while I ride
home feels like a disruption in the act of getting home. I've been
trying to stop on my bike when I think about the access to nature
challenge and take a photo - perhaps this is a good way to document my
moment. The moment becomes longer - stop the bike. take the photo.
take the breath. that is a huge branch covered in moss in the alley.

What changes, if any, are you noticing over the course of the challenge?

I'm looking forward to the weekend so i can access nature again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment