What is this project?
This project is my contribution to the Access to Nature goal outlined in Vancouver's Greenest City 2020 Action Plan. One of the main targets in the plan is that all Vancouver residents will be within a five minute walk of a natural space by 2020.

Who am I?
I am Becky Till, a CityStudio student working in collaboration with the City of Vancouver on Greenest City projects. I am also a person wondering what it really means to have access to nature.

What will all the participants and myself be doing?
Each participant of this challenge is going to "take a moment" in a "natural space" everyday for the next ten days (March 24th - April 2nd). We will all be posting reflections both written and visual to share what impact this commitment is having on us.

Why am I doing this?
Well, because I used eat blackberries on a forest path during my commute and now I try not to get hit by cars. I want to see if there is a bridge between my busy city life and my need to feel connected to nature. What does it mean to connect with nature in a city? Does it have the same impact as "wilder" nature? Will having more contact make a noticeable difference in my life? To broaden my conclusions I asked fourteen other people living in Vancouver if they could commit to "Accessing Nature" for 10 days straight too. They said yes.
It's on!

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Dani K - Final Reflection/Feedback

  1. Did you find anything about the Accessing Nature Challenge challenging? If so, what were your biggest barriers?  My biggest barriers were during the weekdays: my need for relaxation upon entry from work (aka my mind wanting to decompress for a while), being hungry and wanting to cook food instead of going for a walk as well as trying to fit in my moments to be on the way to something else so I was using my time efficiently.
2.How do you think your exposure to nature growing up influences the way you conceive of nature now (if at all)?  Interesting question. My exposure to nature was a huge part of my childhood but was an indirect influence of my parents. I have never seen them camp, hike, bike or even swim. But they sent me away to summer camp and allowed me to visit the country and we played in the snow together. So my connection to nature was something that I fostered of my own accord and connect it to my independence, my ability to challenge myself and a way to get to know others in a place outside of all social norms. And now, I cannot help but foster this connection to remind myself of all the things listed above. 

3.How do you think your concept of nature has shifted during this challenge (if at all)?   My concept of nature has not shifted so much as the knowledge of how just leaving my house for half an hour or less can really shift my day in a positive and productive way.

4. Do you predict you will "access nature" more frequently or with a new approach due to participating in this challenge? If so, how?   I hope so! Will try to make it a 3 out of 5 days during the week. It was a great way to have down time, alone time and fresh air time


5. What are you taking away from your experience?  Remembering how important it is to just take the time.


6. What would you change about the challenge to improve it for future participants?   Make it a solid week. 7 days seems like a good chunk of time to devote to this challenge and to make it consecutive days. Perhaps an electronic mapping system where you can put pins into the areas you visited so that you can see the spots that everyone else is visiting and perhaps go there. Especially if you are interested in their descriptions if the blog is kept up!

No comments:

Post a Comment