What is this project?
This project is my contribution to the Access to Nature goal outlined in Vancouver's Greenest City 2020 Action Plan. One of the main targets in the plan is that all Vancouver residents will be within a five minute walk of a natural space by 2020.

Who am I?
I am Becky Till, a CityStudio student working in collaboration with the City of Vancouver on Greenest City projects. I am also a person wondering what it really means to have access to nature.

What will all the participants and myself be doing?
Each participant of this challenge is going to "take a moment" in a "natural space" everyday for the next ten days (March 24th - April 2nd). We will all be posting reflections both written and visual to share what impact this commitment is having on us.

Why am I doing this?
Well, because I used eat blackberries on a forest path during my commute and now I try not to get hit by cars. I want to see if there is a bridge between my busy city life and my need to feel connected to nature. What does it mean to connect with nature in a city? Does it have the same impact as "wilder" nature? Will having more contact make a noticeable difference in my life? To broaden my conclusions I asked fourteen other people living in Vancouver if they could commit to "Accessing Nature" for 10 days straight too. They said yes.
It's on!

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Katie Chapman - Final Reflection/Feedback

i.  It wasn't challenging to do the actual challenge because I was out in the neighbourhood already with running and biking that I do pretty regularly.  My only barriers were that I felt that these places were too boring and I needed to find new places for the challenge, so that I had interesting things to write about.  I spend a lot of time in nature, so overall, it wasn't too challenging.
 
ii.  I think I was exposed fairly frequently, growing up in North Vancouver.  I think that the exposure I had has affected the kind of natural environment I'd like to be in.  I dislike damp dense forests, and prefer open grassy summery fields, and deciduous forests.  I'd like to be more exposed to the places like this in the city so that I could run/ride through.
 
iii.  I don't think my concept of nature has shifted too much.  I think my meditation skills may have!  I tried to close my mind to thoughts and just focus on my surroundings, and I was reminded quite frequently of my childhood.  I think I'll always need to live somewhere that has beaches and parks nearby.  I can't imagine living somewhere without these spaces, and I'm trying to appreciate them more (I already used them frequently, but I'm trying to be more grateful now).
 
iv.  I don't think I'll try access nature any more than I already do, but I will take time to enjoy sights, sounds, smells, and feelings that nature exposes me to, instead of rushing through or not noticing my surroundings.
 
v.  I'm taking away a grateful attitude that I live in Vancouver!
 
vi.  I might make the challenge over a longer period of time, or ask participants to make sure they expose themself to multiple kinds of green environments - forests, fields, flower gardens, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment