What is this project?
This project is my contribution to the Access to Nature goal outlined in Vancouver's Greenest City 2020 Action Plan. One of the main targets in the plan is that all Vancouver residents will be within a five minute walk of a natural space by 2020.

Who am I?
I am Becky Till, a CityStudio student working in collaboration with the City of Vancouver on Greenest City projects. I am also a person wondering what it really means to have access to nature.

What will all the participants and myself be doing?
Each participant of this challenge is going to "take a moment" in a "natural space" everyday for the next ten days (March 24th - April 2nd). We will all be posting reflections both written and visual to share what impact this commitment is having on us.

Why am I doing this?
Well, because I used eat blackberries on a forest path during my commute and now I try not to get hit by cars. I want to see if there is a bridge between my busy city life and my need to feel connected to nature. What does it mean to connect with nature in a city? Does it have the same impact as "wilder" nature? Will having more contact make a noticeable difference in my life? To broaden my conclusions I asked fourteen other people living in Vancouver if they could commit to "Accessing Nature" for 10 days straight too. They said yes.
It's on!

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Janet Moore - Final Reflection / Feedback


Did you find anything about the Accessing Nature Challenge challenging? If so, what were your biggest barriers?
Biggest barriers were the constant feeling of getting somewhere else - passing through places and not stopping to enjoy. Weather is much more of a factor than I would have thought.

How do you think your exposure to nature growing up influences the way you conceive of nature now (if at all)?


I think my mom hated being inside in the sunshine- and I feel this 
too. The idea of being inside on a glorious day is against my own nature and the way I was raised. It makes me wonder how I ended up in rainy vancouver...

How do you think your concept of nature has shifted during this challenge (if at all)?


I think I have shifted my awareness of my 'getting' to places - 
enjoying the moment is really important and I think I'll take more moments for myself and with my kids to just breathe it all in - take notice.

Do you predict you will "access nature" more frequently or with a new approach due to participating in this challenge? If so, how? 

I think I'll keep loving green space and keep working hard to ensure more of it happens in vancouver.

What are you taking away from your experience?
I think that small challenges are big - I hope this challenge is adopted by the city of vancouver.

What would you change about the challenge to improve it for future participants?
I think responding to questions by email or facebook would be easier - I also think the once a day photo upload and one sentence might be a good way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment