What is this project?
This project is my contribution to the Access to Nature goal outlined in Vancouver's Greenest City 2020 Action Plan. One of the main targets in the plan is that all Vancouver residents will be within a five minute walk of a natural space by 2020.

Who am I?
I am Becky Till, a CityStudio student working in collaboration with the City of Vancouver on Greenest City projects. I am also a person wondering what it really means to have access to nature.

What will all the participants and myself be doing?
Each participant of this challenge is going to "take a moment" in a "natural space" everyday for the next ten days (March 24th - April 2nd). We will all be posting reflections both written and visual to share what impact this commitment is having on us.

Why am I doing this?
Well, because I used eat blackberries on a forest path during my commute and now I try not to get hit by cars. I want to see if there is a bridge between my busy city life and my need to feel connected to nature. What does it mean to connect with nature in a city? Does it have the same impact as "wilder" nature? Will having more contact make a noticeable difference in my life? To broaden my conclusions I asked fourteen other people living in Vancouver if they could commit to "Accessing Nature" for 10 days straight too. They said yes.
It's on!

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Sarah Lind - Final Reflection/Feedback


i.         I found it much more difficult than I had expected to spend what I considered to be quality time in nature.  I had thought at the outset that I would go to the beach, or a park or go for a hike and didn't end up doing anything but visiting my back yard and taking a moment to notice what was around me and to be more present when I was outdoors.  I think the biggest barrier was feeling that it had to be a big deal for my moment in nature to count and I never felt I had the time required.  However I did appreciate the positive experience of being present outdoors and taking a moment to get out of my head and notice all the life that is always around me when I am outside, whether it's in a garden or walking through an industrial area.

ii.        I'm not sure how my upbringing and childhood experiences shaped my relationship with nature.  Likely, since I grew up in urban environments, and wilderness was required an excursion I still think of it as distant and less accessible, which could explain why I thought I would need several hours to be in nature.  It could also point to my having learned a dualistic view of nature vs urban and, having identified myself as urban, I therefore often feel separate from nature.

iii.        I was powerfully reminded of my belonging to nature and somewhat of my role in it.  When I would be present and take the time to notice myself in the world and to take note of everything (and everyone) around me I would see that wherever I looked was myriad of life.  It helped me feel less that the cities are my or mankind's dominion and that all space on the earth is shared space.  These aren't entirely new ideas to me, but they are also not something I am always aware of.  

iv.        My thirst for time in the forest and further from the city has increased or I have become more aware of it, but I benefited so much and so enjoyed being present whenever I remembered to be and taking note of everything around me (especially the critters! I noticed so many different little fauna) that I will make that something I do regularly.  I learned that even 5 or 10 seconds of doing nothing but observing blossoms, or the many varieties of rain was and is so enjoyable and profound and brings me peace.

v.         I think I've already answered this.  I'm extra excited about cataloguing a list of rain species.  

vi.         I'm not sure what could be changed.  I felt very guilty and had a sense of having failed the challenge because I didn't make a special excursion into the more wild world, but was reassured at the end that this was an acceptable outcome of my challenge, and is still a valid contribution.  If I did it again, I would like to take the time to take my moment(s) in different areas, different locations and different environments just to see what different things I could observe.

No comments:

Post a Comment