What is this project?
This project is my contribution to the Access to Nature goal outlined in Vancouver's Greenest City 2020 Action Plan. One of the main targets in the plan is that all Vancouver residents will be within a five minute walk of a natural space by 2020.

Who am I?
I am Becky Till, a CityStudio student working in collaboration with the City of Vancouver on Greenest City projects. I am also a person wondering what it really means to have access to nature.

What will all the participants and myself be doing?
Each participant of this challenge is going to "take a moment" in a "natural space" everyday for the next ten days (March 24th - April 2nd). We will all be posting reflections both written and visual to share what impact this commitment is having on us.

Why am I doing this?
Well, because I used eat blackberries on a forest path during my commute and now I try not to get hit by cars. I want to see if there is a bridge between my busy city life and my need to feel connected to nature. What does it mean to connect with nature in a city? Does it have the same impact as "wilder" nature? Will having more contact make a noticeable difference in my life? To broaden my conclusions I asked fourteen other people living in Vancouver if they could commit to "Accessing Nature" for 10 days straight too. They said yes.
It's on!

Wednesday 4 April 2012

Kaylen and Deanna Reflections part 2


Well, I definitely found this challenge challenging. While it was easier on days off (weekends, holidays) to get out and access nature, it was certainly harder once back to work and the day to day responsibilities of the week. The biggest hurdle for me was time. I too was and am caught up in getting places. Home to school. School to work. Work to school. School to store. Store to home. Repeat.
Growing up in a rural area, I think accessing nature was perhaps easier than being in the city, although looking at my son, he seems to be able to do so with ease in the same surroundings. So maybe it has more to do with the way we live our lives. I feel like I am too often saying "hurry up" or "it's time to go". Maybe taking 5 more minutes, or even a minute won't hurt? Maybe it will actually help.
It has been equally important for me to take the moment, as much as the moment being in nature. Today I was enjoying the walk to work and saw this great shot (above) of the blossoming branches on the blue sky. I almost kept going, but the seed has been planted to stop for a moment, and I'm glad I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment