What is this project?
This project is my contribution to the Access to Nature goal outlined in Vancouver's Greenest City 2020 Action Plan. One of the main targets in the plan is that all Vancouver residents will be within a five minute walk of a natural space by 2020.

Who am I?
I am Becky Till, a CityStudio student working in collaboration with the City of Vancouver on Greenest City projects. I am also a person wondering what it really means to have access to nature.

What will all the participants and myself be doing?
Each participant of this challenge is going to "take a moment" in a "natural space" everyday for the next ten days (March 24th - April 2nd). We will all be posting reflections both written and visual to share what impact this commitment is having on us.

Why am I doing this?
Well, because I used eat blackberries on a forest path during my commute and now I try not to get hit by cars. I want to see if there is a bridge between my busy city life and my need to feel connected to nature. What does it mean to connect with nature in a city? Does it have the same impact as "wilder" nature? Will having more contact make a noticeable difference in my life? To broaden my conclusions I asked fourteen other people living in Vancouver if they could commit to "Accessing Nature" for 10 days straight too. They said yes.
It's on!

Monday 2 April 2012

Tana - Reflection

March 28th came and went and I was unable to speak. On March 27th from our backyard I watched an old three-story house being clawed down by a giant orange machine. Shocking to see it only took an hour and a half. The last thing standing was the front door in its jamb. It is said that our homes metaphorically represent our souls. So it was sombre and meaningful to me to see "the way in" enduring the carnage and still standing. The next day a man in a red hardhat began to lop off giant limbs of one of two magnificent cedar trees at the back of the property. Several minutes later it dawned on me that he was not pruning but was taking the tree down. And so a healthy, 80 foot cedar, who knows how old, was felled. I was filled with such grief and anger. The only solace was the fact that its twin was still standing. The following morning I awoke to the sound of chainsaws and the twin cedar was coming down so the new owner could dig a basement. I had not cried that hard for a long time and the sorrow remains with me everytime I look out expecting a curtain of green. The City allowed this. The same city that wants to make Vancouver the greenest city and wants to plant a gazillion more trees. HAH. I am well and truly disgusted.

No comments:

Post a Comment