What is this project?
This project is my contribution to the Access to Nature goal outlined in Vancouver's Greenest City 2020 Action Plan. One of the main targets in the plan is that all Vancouver residents will be within a five minute walk of a natural space by 2020.

Who am I?
I am Becky Till, a CityStudio student working in collaboration with the City of Vancouver on Greenest City projects. I am also a person wondering what it really means to have access to nature.

What will all the participants and myself be doing?
Each participant of this challenge is going to "take a moment" in a "natural space" everyday for the next ten days (March 24th - April 2nd). We will all be posting reflections both written and visual to share what impact this commitment is having on us.

Why am I doing this?
Well, because I used eat blackberries on a forest path during my commute and now I try not to get hit by cars. I want to see if there is a bridge between my busy city life and my need to feel connected to nature. What does it mean to connect with nature in a city? Does it have the same impact as "wilder" nature? Will having more contact make a noticeable difference in my life? To broaden my conclusions I asked fourteen other people living in Vancouver if they could commit to "Accessing Nature" for 10 days straight too. They said yes.
It's on!

Tuesday 3 April 2012

Tana - Final Reflection

I'd say our humanly constructed world, be it green or not, is an example of our inner life creating an outer form. It's kind of a shocking thought. What do all the appalling human messes say about our collective inner life? I am most at ease in the green constructs: in parks, botanical gardens, back yards and areas I think of as gentle wilderness. I definitely want my nature relatively benign. I do not want to enter into the hurricane or avalanche except on a DVD. I do not want to be stalked by a cougar in a dry canyon bed or a polar bear on an ice floe. Essentially, I'd rather not be prey. I love my walks along the Fraser, binoculars in hand, looking at herons, eagles, winter wrens, muskrats. I rejoice in the beaver felling cottonwoods with their teeth along the river banks. In that same vein, I felt total outrage over the human felling of trees behind our house last week.Both actions, beaver and human, will result in homes. Why is one acceptable to me and one not. I will end this weird reflection with part of a poem by Canadian nature poet ( and GG winner), Don McKay. It's from a poem called Apres Chainsaw -
            
            Is this the way it works,
            locking you, stunned, in the imperative,
            making a weapon of each tool?
           Why can't we just bury innocence instead of
            wrecking it over and over, as if
            it could never die
            enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment