What is this project?
This project is my contribution to the Access to Nature goal outlined in Vancouver's Greenest City 2020 Action Plan. One of the main targets in the plan is that all Vancouver residents will be within a five minute walk of a natural space by 2020.

Who am I?
I am Becky Till, a CityStudio student working in collaboration with the City of Vancouver on Greenest City projects. I am also a person wondering what it really means to have access to nature.

What will all the participants and myself be doing?
Each participant of this challenge is going to "take a moment" in a "natural space" everyday for the next ten days (March 24th - April 2nd). We will all be posting reflections both written and visual to share what impact this commitment is having on us.

Why am I doing this?
Well, because I used eat blackberries on a forest path during my commute and now I try not to get hit by cars. I want to see if there is a bridge between my busy city life and my need to feel connected to nature. What does it mean to connect with nature in a city? Does it have the same impact as "wilder" nature? Will having more contact make a noticeable difference in my life? To broaden my conclusions I asked fourteen other people living in Vancouver if they could commit to "Accessing Nature" for 10 days straight too. They said yes.
It's on!

Monday 2 April 2012

Kaylen and Deanna - Day 6 and 7


Thursday and Friday, Days 6 and 7 of the challenge were more "back to the grind days."
Commuting, busy life days. I was back to walking Kaylen to and from school for my part of the week, so we used our moments here. We took a little more time to observe the nature we might just pass through on any other day. Kaylen of course also got in some time at the playground at school, and I sat and watched him and his friends play for a while before we started home. On Thursday we passed by this tree we've walked by a hundred times before, but this time I noticed it was puckering up for a kiss - the trees want more than hugging now. For some reason I didn't take a picture right away, but when we passed it again on Friday, I couldn't refuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment