What is this project?
This project is my contribution to the Access to Nature goal outlined in Vancouver's Greenest City 2020 Action Plan. One of the main targets in the plan is that all Vancouver residents will be within a five minute walk of a natural space by 2020.

Who am I?
I am Becky Till, a CityStudio student working in collaboration with the City of Vancouver on Greenest City projects. I am also a person wondering what it really means to have access to nature.

What will all the participants and myself be doing?
Each participant of this challenge is going to "take a moment" in a "natural space" everyday for the next ten days (March 24th - April 2nd). We will all be posting reflections both written and visual to share what impact this commitment is having on us.

Why am I doing this?
Well, because I used eat blackberries on a forest path during my commute and now I try not to get hit by cars. I want to see if there is a bridge between my busy city life and my need to feel connected to nature. What does it mean to connect with nature in a city? Does it have the same impact as "wilder" nature? Will having more contact make a noticeable difference in my life? To broaden my conclusions I asked fourteen other people living in Vancouver if they could commit to "Accessing Nature" for 10 days straight too. They said yes.
It's on!

Wednesday 11 April 2012

Darth Andrea - Final Reflection/Feedback


1. Did you find anything about the Accessing Nature Challenge challenging? If so, what were your biggest barriers?  
I did find it challenging to pick where I wanted to go and to fit it into my schedule. On really busy days I didn't go very far, but I was also unsure whether the field by my house was actually a park or not. The barriers were whether I could convince myself to take the bus, because I felt bad driving my car, for a 5 minute bus ride to the local community park.
2. How do you think your exposure to nature growing up influences the way you conceive of nature now (if at all)?
Nature was always considered an outing. It was the time on weekends when my dad would take us to the Seymour mountain, or parks nearby (when I lived in Burnaby). They have always been a fun place to be, and now I feel like nature spaces are an escape from the stress I experience through school and work.
3. How do you think your concept of nature has shifted during this challenge (if at all)?
I dont think my concept of nature has changed very much. Although I wish the ravine I like to visit was closer, and not so scary at night.
4. Do you predict you will "access nature" more frequently or with a new approach due to participating in this challenge? If so, how?
I will probably try and access nature more often, as I found I was more productive on writing my paper after coming home from the park. I don't think I will approach nature any differently because I like how I experience it now. Perhaps during the summer I will plan a few more hikes.
5. What are you taking away from your experience?
I need to visit parks more during the winter. They aren't so bad in the rain, just wear my boots! Also, after I get to the park I am happy I went, and the bus ride isn't bad at all. I just have to stop being lazy.
6. What would you change about the challenge to improve it for future participants?
I don't think I would change anything. The map was nice to have to plot where I went and the log is great. Maybe having a theme for certain days would be interesting. For instance, on one day you must go to a park you have never been to before. Or you must visit a park that is within walking distance and see how that can be a barrier to certain participants and why?

No comments:

Post a Comment